Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts on day 16

Well I have finally started my online classes so I have something to do other than watch Gilmore Girls all day.  Still a pretty boring life, but hopefully soon I will be learning how to knit.  I asked Chris the other day if his mom knew how to knit and his reply was, "what is knit?"  Mom and I got a kick out of that one.  But Kris Osterbur is hopefully coming over this week to teach me!  Yesterday Patti Jetter came to keep me company while everyone was at school and she brought me a disney princess coloring book :)  Mom thinks I should color some pictures for Rachel Wright...I say Rach should come color with me sometime!

My mobility and independence are increasing everyday...it is wonderful!  The hardest part is trying to carry things while using my crutches.  But yesterday I did manage to use my "grabber" to reach the guitar, take it into the living room, hook up the PS2 to the TV and play some guitar hero!  I was very proud of this.  Now the thing that probably still bugs me the most is not being able to shower in the shower everyday.  I hate sponge bathing and not being able to wash my hair as often as I like...I also get annoyed with waking up to awful back pain during the night and every morning...I was always a side sleeper so sleeping on my back is doing quite a number on my lower muscles.

My greatest fears right now are that I will have some kind of permanent deformity of my foot that will affect my walk, and the thought of getting behind the wheel again...I burst into tears last night talking to my mom about those things and I'm trying so hard to give up those worries to the Lord...its just more difficult than I thought it would be.  Our discussion about those things was interestingly interrupted since while i was crying, instead of normal body fluids coming out of my nose,  it erupted into a fountain of blood literally pouring from my nose into the trash can...not pretty...hopefully that wasn't too much info for ya'll :)  

On a positive note, this accident is saving me about $14000 on school since all I have to pay for are my online classes this semester!

I also have to mention that I probably have the best boyfriend I could hope for.  Not only did he sleep on the floor of my hospital room for three nights in a row...he learned to know exactly what I needed/wanted him to do by me simply looking at him and then looking at what I wanted him to get/do.  He also very carefully helped me out of bed every time I needed to use the bathroom (which was about every 2 hours since I was drinking about 4 liters of water a day) by putting one hand under my ankle, which was gross from all the fluids draining from it, and the other hand to support my knee.  He has only NOT visited 2 nights since I have been home and he brings me whatever I am craving that day.  Yesterday was mint choc. chip ice cream.  Sometimes I fall asleep while he is here, sometimes I cry, and he sits there through it all...comforting me when I need comforted, rubbing my head until I fall asleep...I really can't imagine going through all of this without him.  I'm such a lucky girl!

9 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

He (who is nameless in your post)sounds great!
Yep, and I had one of those grabbers too. It's amazing how much freedom they can give. Have you discovered that you can use them to remove cans of soup from cupboards? And, if you are careful, coffee mugs! (Probably the most important thing that I retrieved with mine)
While not as intensive, I am taking a pharmacy tech course through 'distance learning' My material is sent to me, and only the tests are online.
Is yours through the university you were attending?
I had the flu for two days, and watched 4 episodes of GG yesterday afternoon. Bob bought me season 2!

Anonymous said...

i can clear that up for you anna - Mr. Wonderful's name is Chris (the one who didn't know what knitting was):) and i will verify that he really has been wonderfully attentive to marissa throughout this ordeal.

marissa finch said...

Yes I am taking my courses through Ball State. They are 10 weeks long and done completely over the internet....and season 2 is one of the best seasons i think!

cody.nat said...

Hi Marissa. I found your blog from your mom's from Margaret's! :)Margaret is a good friend of my mom and dad. Anyway I read your blog and it brought back sooo many memories for me. I was in a major car accident about 3 1/2 years ago. I broke my femur, ankle, back, and wrist. I so remember the pain, and totally relying on other people, sponge bathing, and fear. Your post about crying and you nose gushing blood? It happened to me also! And it was my dear boyfriend (Now husband) that I was crying to! Not a pretty site! Anyway- through all of this I just wanted to encourage you. God does have a plan in all of this. You might not know it until heaven but He is in control! Keep looking up. Prayers to you! -Natalie

Anonymous said...

Love You Marissa! So glad you are getting stronger in body and you will keep getting stronger in spirit also. We are blessed to have a God who uses things that happen to us and change them for good. Stay close to Him!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marissa, I am sure trying a new thing here. It is just so fun to be able to keep up on your blessing in healings, confidence in trying new things. I am so glad you are able to take some classes. That will make you fell like you are still making progress in your education too. You will make it through all of this.

Charity said...

I know Rachel would LOVE coloring princess pictures with you (especially if Zekers wasn't invited) - just say when. :)

~~anna~~ said...

Just read your mom's post about your dr's appointment. Surgeries don't sound like fun, but the rest is all great news! You must be happy! Thank you, LORD!!!

Steak'n'Shake sounds delish!
For some reason Bob doesn't like that place, so I haven't been there in ages. :(

Anonymous said...

Hey Marissa! I'm so glad to hear the encouraging reports about your giant leaps of progress. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!! I miss you!