Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Post That Came From Having Too Much Time To Think

Someone asked me the other day after seeing pictures of my foot if it still shocks me every time we unwrap it to clean it, etc.  I told them it had become so normal to me over the last few weeks that no, it wasn't weird at all to see pins and screws sticking out of my foot and leg with a giant metal structure surrounding it all.  I actually began to think...how weird it is going to be when it actually comes OFF.  I feel like it is going to be comparable to braces.  They are super annoying at first and they hurt and you can't wait for them to be off from the moment you get them put on...and then when they are finally gone...its strange and unnatural not having them there...your teeth feel bare and there is almost just as much adjusting to getting them off as when you first had them put on.  When I finally get this halo and leg immobilizer off, i think its going to feel awkward...first of all my leg is going to be pounds lighter...my balance may even be thrown off for awhile...I'm going to have to get used to seeing the holes in my foot and shin where metal rods used to be..not to mention the strange sensations (and painful ones) than bending my knee again will bring.  I can actually now move my knee cap by flexing my muscles...and watch it move...despite the fact that I still have no feeling in the lower part of my knee...and may never again.  I can also flex my gastrocnemius muscle and watch it move too...its weird, I know, just to sit here and think about all this...but really...what else do I have to do...

7 comments:

JanAl said...

...interesting! :}
You have been such an encouragement to me, on how you have handled this whole situation, I have never heard you complain, and you seem to be at peace with the situation!

~~anna~~ said...

Wow, Marissa!
That is what I would call having a positive attitude about things.

Now are you going to frame any of the posts when they remove them? :^)
How many scrapbook pages has your mom done of this?

marissa finch said...

haha well first of all...i have to admit that i do complain sometimes....actually...i mostly cry about things...and i havent been sleeping well which makes me more emotional

and YES i am keeping my halo for sure...not sure about the pins but the halo is a keepsake!

I'm sure that by the end of all this ... my mom will have plenty of scrapbooking to do!

~~anna~~ said...

I just never thought to pray that you would be able to sleep at night. I should have remembered that from when I had my ankle problem, and that was no where near as painful as what you have.

So, I'll start praying for peaceful rest and sound sleep for you, Marissa.

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list praying for good restful sleep. I also remember how the lack of sleep effects everything else in your life. Feel free to take a few naps.

Anonymous said...

part of marissa's problem with sleeping/not sleeping is that we can't seem to find a pain medication that works well for her. she seems to be rather sensitive to the strong stuff and has to give them up for a time. then she's hesitant to try them again. after a few sleepless nights in a row and too much back pain, she simply becomes emotionally fragile.

mom wants to make it all better, but she's helpless.

we don't give up easily, though. and she did get some pretty good sleep last night (friday/saturday). woo hoo!

~~anna~~ said...

That's bad news on the meds.
hmmm...is it anything that you could take at night right before going to bed, so you could sleep off the bad effects?(nausea, restlessness, etc)
You might want to check with the pharmacist or doctor to see what they could suggest. ~~just a thought~~