Friday, January 30, 2009

Miss Independant

I took a shower completely by myself...twice now!

thanks to my wonderful parents getting a shower curtain for me (which i also get to take to my new house when i return to school if mom doesnt get too attached to it) i can finally take on the entire process of showering by myself!

1. sit on toilet
2. remove clothing  (hoping that only women still read my blog)
3. remove leg immobilizer
4. unwrap leg/ankle and remove gauze pads 
5. put leg immobilizer back on
6. move my caboose over to the shower chair
7. put left leg in tub and lift right leg up and into tub
8. remove leg immobilizer...again
9. bathe
10. take towel #1 and dry off self, then place underneath me on the shower chair (for traction...trust me it is important)
11. put leg immobilizer BACK on
12. lift right leg up and out of tub while carefully scooting to the edge of the shower chair until i can place my foot on the floor
13. (hold your breath it gets complicated)...remove left leg from tub while left hand holds onto shower chair and right hand grabs windowsill and both arms push until i am in an upright position
14. put on robe
15. crutch it back to my room to get dressed and slather antibiotic on my foot (which the parents still get to do)


wow, it sounds more complicated when i type it all out...but thats the gist!  And it takes about 30-35 minutes to complete (not including the dressing of the foot)

hopefully my next post will be full of good news from the doctor, who i will be seeing again on thursday!

6 comments:

JanAl said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

actually, step one is: announce you want to take a shower so the parents will get the shower chair in the tub and hang your towels where you can reach them :)

you know i've never minded helping you with this process. still, it IS nice that you can do the rest by yourself. actually, the REALLY, REALLY nice part is that we no longer have to remove and re-hang the tub DOORS 4 times each time you want to shower!

Jodi Bradshaw said...

It is amazing accomplishments you never thought would be a big deal are. For now, when are kitchen is clean and the house somewhat picked up I call that an accomplishment. :)

So glad to hear that you are able to do more!

Would you be up for some chick flicks and ice cream some time during the day this friday??

~~anna~~ said...

That sounds like you have definitely made some major advancements!

Gee, did you ever think that the ladies of the church would be cheering your ability to take a shower all by yourself! :)

cody.nat said...

Woo Hoo! What a great accomplishment!!

Anonymous said...

It is so neat to read and have documented all the improvements you have made is such a short time. You may laugh and joke about all of them but deep down I know what a blessing it is to gain so much freedom.