Thursday, January 08, 2009

Settling In

I'm starting to get used to my new routine.  Get up around 6, drink my breakfast, go back to sleep till my next pain pill at 9, wake up, take all my medicine, give myself a shot, and wait for dad to come home and clean my foot at 9:45.  Then after he is done, i eat lunch and usually get on the computer for a bit and then take a nap for an hour or so.  Now, i'm back on the computer/watching Gilmore Girls (which i watch all the time now), waiting for everyone to get home from school.  I'll probably take another nap around 3:30 or 4 so i can eat dinner and prepare for visitors.  

Yesterday, however, i DID take a shower all by myself!  Well, after my mom helped me undress and get in the tub...but other than that i was on my own and i didn't pass out, AND i got all the way back to my room without being carried!  It felt very good...but i was COMPLETELY exhausted afterwards and i still had to sit through my foot cleaning and two sets of visitors...needless to say, i slept very well last night.  

It seems like everyday someone does something to make me feel so much better about my situation.  The other day, charity brought her kids over and rachel gave me a necklace she had just make...it didn't quite fit over my head but i have it hung on the lamp next to my bed to remind me of the sweet gesture.  I just want to again thank everyone who has made time to visit or send a card or email...they mean so much to me...and thanks also to all those who have been praying for me...each day is a little better than the last.

6 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

Good to hear about your day, and how you are able to do some things by yourself. All that rest you are getting is important for your recovery. But as a nursing student you already knew that, right?

Having had to do a slow recovery with ankle/tendon problems, I know that it is not easy to be dependent on others, and to feel like you've lost your personal independence and 'freedom'. It can be a very humbling time, but it can also be a time to draw closer to Christ...after all, we ALL are dependent on Him for everything!

Love you and praying for you.

Margaret said...

little by little...one moment at a time! :) by the way, i love your new blog look!

Charity said...

Congratulations, Marfin - now that you can bathe yourself, you're almost as independent as Zekers! :D
(although, not quite - he doesn't require a nap anymore. maybe you're more like Kari Bou)

marissa finch said...

wow...thank you charity! haha

Anonymous said...

anna - good point :)

charity - marissa might still be ahead of kari bou. she can wipe her own butt.

Charity said...

LOL - then she's ahead of Zekers, too. :)