Friday, March 30, 2007

Thinking...(warning: can be dangerous)

I have had some time lately where i have been able to spend time with just myself and my thoughts. I have discovered a few things:

1) I will miss my family next year. Ty absolutely cracks me up. I love his odd sense of humor and how he cant help but laugh at himself when he does something funny. Cami....i just love to embarrass her, especially when i'm driving her somewhere and i dance around in the car to the music. Ryan and i have finally started to be brother and sister rather than enemies. We talked for half and hour alone, over beef jerky, when i went to visit him in january. Dad, he doesn't mean to do it most of the time, but he is hilarious as well (and when he tries to be, its usually pretty corny)...but we all love him for it. Mom...she listens to me no matter how boring my story is....no matter how bad her day has been....no matter how late at night it is. She cries with me and she laughs both with me and at me. (i cant believe i'm tearing up typing this)
so yes, as much as i'd love to deny it...i will miss them all

2) My best friend is amazing, and it blows my mind how God put us together at the perfect time in both our lives. Jen and I either show how much we are alike (i.e. army crawling anywhere, or "james bond-ing" it down the church hallway) or how much we are different (i.e. she yells at people when she's mad and i just cry like a wimp...then she yells at me for being a wimp!). We can have deep meaningful conversations, venting sessions, completely meaningless conversations, or just sit there silently and that be ok. When one of us is emotional, the other one is there to say "snap out of it and move on" or lend a shoulder if needed. I cant even begin to say how much i'll miss seeing her next year.

3) Old friends are great too. I have noticed that lately some of the most fun conversations i have had, have been with people that i used to hang out with all the time, and don't anymore. Just reminiscing on the "old times" has been so fun. Also, i have had fun getting back in contact with a friend that i hadn't talked to in almost a year. He is one of those people that i wish i had had more time to get to know because i feel like we could have been such close friends given time.

4) high school is so dumb. Without drama, what would high school be? Oooo ooo pick me! Pick me! I know! High school would actually be about preparing for college, not who hung out with who last weekend, not where prom is going to be this year, not who is on your data match list, not giving up and dropping out 9 weeks before you could graduate. The class of 2007 is setting the record for most students in one class to NOT graduate. My class could probably set the record for most kids born from unwed pregnancies too. Can you believe that there are over 40 girls in the Greenville school system that are pregnant? And almost that many already have one or two kids. That blows my mind.

5) I am 18...if i mess up...i will have a record...

As my senior year comes to a close, I keep thinking about all the things I am glad i did, all the things i wish i hadn't, and all the things i wish i had done. But mostly, i realize that God has had His hand in my life and He has a purpose for me and that the things i have or haven't done are all part of growing up and becoming who He wants me to be.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sista! Preach!

Anonymous said...

(addendum to previous)

Praise Jeebus!

Zach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach said...

i appreciate the reference... and i completely agree. :)

Anonymous said...

i teared up reading your post, too! and in thinking of a response.

you have no idea how hard it has been this year to let you do your own thing and not expect you to hang out with me as much as you used to. i have missed you SO much, but this is your move toward independence - and i know that is a really good thing.

marissa, you have been more than i'd ever hoped for in a daughter, and i have full confidence that you are ready for life beyond our safe home. you are well on your way to becoming the woman God has designed you to be.

Charity said...

That's it - after reading this post I've decided Rachel is hereby forbidden to grow any older than 15.

Anonymous said...

hi marissa, thanks for embarrassing me! I won't miss it!!

-Your favorite sister
(and your least favorite)

Jen said...

marissa....u have no idea how much I am going to miss all of our crazy talks to the seious venting sessions to the superfunny things that happen to us (movie store parking lot, kyle's truck, our cars, and cray dance moves). What will I do with you so far away from me this fall? Oh, my.

marissa finch said...

oh my...yes...who could forget the parking lot!

Anonymous said...

ok, i want to hear about the parking lot....

Lauren Mott said...

marissa...
your post took me back to ol' GHS! i'm glad you're getting out of there unscathed:)
also, i always thought the data match thing was actually spelled date-a-match. i'm so dumb.
if it's any consolation, i can't remember ANYthing about high school unless i'm asked to...better things are yet to come:)

Anonymous said...

sorry mom, parking lot is top secret