Thursday, April 09, 2009

From 0 to 60


Wow my life has sped up the last week!

I received my nursing information in the mail last week and saw that i had A LOT to do...background checks, CPR re-certification, health clearance physicals, shots, etc.  Then tuesday night I went to Ball State and stayed with my roommates before my nursing meeting on wednesday where i found out all the ridiculous restrictions that they put on nursing students!  NO jewelry whatsoever except for the watch (not digital, with 60 second markers and a second hand), NO colored clothing underneath the uniforms - must be white crew neck or turtleneck (even though our uniform is V-neck...go figure), NO fingernails longer than the nail bed and no nail polish at all, WHITE LEATHER shoes with closed heel and toe only, hair pulled back with PLAIN hair accessories, WHITE socks that cover the ankles, and if you have tattoos, they must be covered with bandaids and you must explain to every patient why you have bandaids on.  Then the endless list of supplies that i have to purchase....a full page long....i cant wait to see the final total of everything i have to get...its going to be well over $1500 especially with the smart phone we HAVE to buy.  Needless to say, im stressing a LITTLE.

BUUUUUT....today i went back to see my surgeon, and he okayed me to drive, walk w/o my boot if i wanted, and he cleared me for clinicals!  So everything i have done already for nursing will hopefully not be in vain...the only thing holding me back is ONE class

The letter i received in the mail also informed me of 2 classes i needed to take this summer that i was not aware of....NOTHING on our schedule planner says that these two courses are prerequisites for NUR 330 Junior year.  And only one of the classes is even offered at Ball State this summer....and i can't seem to get anyone over there to help me find a school that i can take it from....the nursing faculty are very "your problems are your problems" about things...

BUUUUUT....i drove my car today...and it felt great

now off to physical therapy!

ps: i could really use your prayers about this class that i need....its the only thing holding me back right now and making me stress the most :(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and she drove today!!! first time since dec. 29th:)

marissa finch said...

but this day turned out much better than that one did!

~~anna~~ said...

Will be praying for your classes and ALL the preparation, including that illusive class!

Glad that today's driving had much pleasanter results :)

~~anna~~ said...

Any updates on how you will be able to get the class?

marissa finch said...

well, anna, i have to take a similar course through Phoenix online U. and its costing almost 3x's the amount of a ball state online course....both my advisor and i checked schools all over ohio and indiana and found nothing except this one....now i just have to hope it transfers!

~~anna~~ said...

oh my! I'm currently taking an online Pharmacy tech course thru Penn Foster. But I'm doing it just for our own needs here, don't have to worry about credits transferring. But I do want to pass the nationakl certification when it's done.
Hopefully you will be able to find out before you enroll if it will transfer?
I'm confused...How cann Ball State require a course that they don't offer?
PS ~How's the car?